If you are unsure of the origin of the block or have any doubts at all in regard to its suitability for the job, do not proceed. Refer to a suitably qualified person for assessment.
- Ensure WLL markings are legible. If only one WLL rating is shown, always assume this is based on a ‘moving block’.
- Ensure the correct block is selected taking into account the load being moved and the wire rope being used.
- Ensure the WLL is sufficient for the method of use. Refer ‘fixed’ and ‘moving’ block information below.
- Ensure block is free from nicks, gouges or cracks. Ensure the sheave rotates freely.
- Discard any block that shows signs of having been welded, heat-treated, bent or modified in any way.