Cookes is an integral Supply Channel partner to a number of Essential Services throughout New Zealand as defined by the New Zealand Government’s definition in response to the COVID-19 Alert Level 4, including:
• Building & construction companies and contractors
• Local and National Government contractors
• Primary Industries, including fishing, aquaculture, agriculture & horticulture
• Public Safety, including the NZ Defence Force, Department of Corrections & Fire & Emergency NZ
• Transport & Logistics, including Civil Aviation Authority, Maritime NZ, KiwiRail, Inter Island Ferry operators Logistics services companies, Maintenance service providers of critical infrastructure, utilities & communications, including entity’s involved in the production, supply, sales and distribution of electricity, gas, water, wastewater, waste, fuel, telecommunication services, and any entity that is contracted by these entities.
• A number of entities that provide maintenance and repair services for utilities and communications, including supply chains.
• A number of entities supplying services to an essential workplace that are required for the safe operation of that workplace.
All of the above are defined as essential on https://covid19.govt.nz/government-actions/covid-19-alert-level/#essential-businesses
As part being a supplier to essential services (Cookes supply allows those essential businesses to continue providing their services to the public), Cookes is entitled and in fact required to continue working in these essential areas but has put in place alternate ways of working to safeguard employees. We take the safety and health of our employees, their families, our customers and the public seriously and are therefore taking a cautious approach and have temporarily closed the majority of our operations across the country to allow staff to stay home with their immediate families. We do, however have a responsibility to our customers providing Essential Services and will continue to provide products and services on a call-out basis. Additional safety precautions have been implemented to reduce the risk to our employees’ health and safety and third parties dealing with them in line with Ministry of Health guidelines.
We respectfully request that the employee handing you this letter be allowed to continue with their work in support of one of the above essential industries.
Please contact Cookes if you have any questions or require clarification